Getting Legal

Moving abroad and making sure your documents are in order can be a stressful and confusing process. Fear not, Smart Insiders is here to help! Our legal advisors are ready to answer questions and handle your cases.

Our team provides incoming students, au pairs, auxiliares de conversación, and young internationals with introductory information on visas and legal issues in Spain. (Read more below!) Our legal advisors also offer assistance with immigration and housing services.

If you wish to put the whole process in the hands of a lawyer specialized in immigration or housing, you can request a quote using the form at the bottom of the page.

Note: This page is designed for visa questions. For more information about Foreign Identity Numbers (NIE) and Foreign Identity Cards (TIE), check out our NIE & TIE Page!

Student Visa (from home country)

Student visa for your stay in Madrid. Obtained from the Spanish consulate in your home country, enables you to travel.

All non-EU citizens whose countries require an entry visa must apply for a student visa before their arrival to Spain. This also applies to NON-EU CITIZENS residing in EU countries.

If you will be in Spain for more than 6 months, you must apply for a Foreigner’s Identity Card (TIE) within 30 days of arriving in Spain. For more details on this process, check out our NIE & TIE page.

Student Visa (in Spain)

Student authorization for your stay in Madrid. This authorization can be obtained in Spain, having entered as a tourist.

All non-EU citizens who entered Spain with a tourist visa can apply for a study permit during their first 60 days in-country without having to return to their country of origin. Once a favorable response to the student visa is obtained, you must apply for the TIE.

If you have any problems with your visa application or authorization, or would like to receive assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Renewal (Prórroga)

Renew your authorization at the end of your stay in Madrid.

When you finish your first year in Spain, you can renew your authorization to remain for another year. As part of this process, you need proof of continuing studies or employment. This is a crucial step to be able to stay and, if not done correctly, it could jeopardize your legal status.

Do you need help with this process? Contact us to get your personalized quote for this service.

From Study to Work

Change your student status to a work status.

If you have been studying in Spain for three years and would like to work and continue living here, then you should know that Spanish law offers you the opportunity to change your student card for a work card, either by being hired by a person or company, or by setting up your own business as a self-employed person.

Need a hand? Use the form below to receive your personalized quote for this service.

Pareja de hecho, Familiar de comunitario

Common-law couple, family member

If you are living in Spain and are in a relationship with a person with nationality from any EU country, you may have heard of the common-law couple (pareja de hecho). This process involves registering your status as a stable partner and would allow you to apply for a residence and work permit abroad which will last 5 years if the relationship is maintained.

Do you need help with this process? Reach out to us for your personalized estimate for this service.


Residence permit: Arraigo social

You may be eligible to apply for this temporary residence and work permit (called an arraigo social) if you have completed three years of continuous residence in Spain AND if you have a work contract or family members in Spain. This permit is designed to assist people experiencing exceptional circumstances with their visa or residence status.

Would you like some assistance? Submit the form below for your personalized quote.

Request your quote here!

Want more information about settling into Madrid? Check out our blog for more information that could be useful to you during your transition. If you have more questions feel free to contact us!

Contact us at