NIE / TIE: Information & Registration

Many students are moving to Madrid to say for more than three months. If this is your plan then you are legally required to get a Foreigners Registration Number (NIE). The process of obtaining an NIE (or TIE) is different form a normal Visa application, so it is important to understand the process. Smart Insiders is here to help students apply and obtain the NIE.

Not sure what’s the difference between a NIE and a TIE?

Check out our blog posts that dives deeper to understand which you’ll need and how to register for an appointment.

I am an EU Citizen and need a NIE:

  1. Request an appointment.
  2. Gather all the documents you need for your appointment.
  3. Download and complete the Modelo 790-012 form.
  4. Go to your appointment.
  5. Pick up your NIE.

I am a Non-EU Citizen and need a TIE:

  1. Request an appointment.
  2. Gather document for a fingerprint appointment.
  3. Pay the fee.
  4. Go to your fingerprint appointment.
  5. Pick up your TIE
Need help from a lawyer specialised in immigration?

If you wish to put the whole process in the hands of a lawyer specialised in immigration you can request a quote for each of the following services.

Useful Links:

  • Procedure Information here
  • Application Forms here
  • Appointments here
  • Foreign Office Addresses in Madrid here
  • General Directorate of Police here

Want more information about settling into Madrid? Check out our blog for more information that could be useful to you during your transition. If you have more questions feel free to contact us!

Contact us at